Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Listening and Communicating"

This is my last weekend before I come home. I've had fantastic experiences for which I feel very blessed.

Last night I saw THE KING'S SPEECH. It was phenomenal. Some of you know that I didn't talk until I was three years old. And then when I did, I had speech impediments. When I went to grade school I was referred to speech therapy. So, for several years my mother Levera took me to the sessions.
It's hard not to watch the play and think about my own experiences as well as those of everyone who have struggled to find a voice and express themselves in language. It's all part of the comedy of the gospel that I spend a good deal of my  time listening, communicating and speaking.

In many ways THE KING'S SPEECH is a a wonderful example of what I've been working on during the sabbatical. It's been about listening and watching various entities in our modern world communicating about God, hospitality, love and inclusiveness. I am most grateful to the good people of St. Martin-in-the-Fields for providing a "home base" during this time. When I return back to Denver I'll begin assembling my thoughts and feelings about what I have seen and done.

I just saw that the Anglican Covenant was rejected. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17500144
It's a pretty complex issue, but it is also another example of what many faith communities are working through as attendance in the pews decreases while there is an apparent increase in "spirituality."
Once again a key issue is how we listen to each other. How is it that we walk and talk with one another. The Archbishop of Canterbury had promoted this Covenant. http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/ Earlier this month he announced that he will be resigning at the end of 2012.


Twist + Shout!

You all know that I love pretzels. During my quick trip to Berlin I was able to sample some fabulous
pretzels. My good friend Gus http://www.guspretzels.com/ still makes the very best pretzels that I've ever tasted. He also embodies friendship and hospitality. You can learn a great deal by visiting a pretzel shop like Gus' Pretzels.


Of course, you can't talk about pretzels without talking about Martin Luther. I saw this statute in Berlin and it made my heart sing. Luther had the genius to be able to communicate across various mediums and constituencies. His insights still greatly influence the world today.


At another church I saw this tribute to Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Bonhoeffer was executed

by the Nazis on April 9, 1945 (just 23 days before the Nazi surrender). This year that date is EASTER MONDAY. His witness is deeply profound and continues to resound throughout the world.

While in Berlin I visited five museums with one of my favorites being the Pergamon.
 http://www.smb.museum/smb/standorte/index.php?lang=de&p=2&objID=27&n=15
Way back in 1975 I had my 21st birthday in Berlin. So, it was fantastic to be able to retrace some of my steps.  As we get ready for Holy Week beginning on April 1, I am mindful of the saying about the month of March, "In like a Lion out like a Lamb." This accurately expresses the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem followed by his Sacrifice as the perfect Passover Lamb.

Today we remember +Oscar Romero+ priest, bishop, martyr

Blessings,
rtg


No comments:

Post a Comment